That was what we woke up to Saturday morning. Banjo Man stared at the outdoor thermometer for long moments and then as we huddled by the gas stove we had it confirmed by a stunned weatherman on tv.
I think we’re starting to get used to it.
Here are some of our rules for surviving this awful February:
1. Do not go anywhere.
2. Eat a lot of bean soups.
3. Don’t bother wearing anything but old black leggings (me), flannel lined khakis (Banjo Man) and old wool sweaters (both of us). No one is coming over and no one is going to see you.
4. Save money on shampoo. (See #1 and #3) You can use the extra bucks for the propane bill.
5. Watch a lot of television. Mini-series are great because that gives you something to look forward to all day as you huddle in your
igloo office working. There were 22 episodes in Season One of BlackList, thank God. And that was only the beginning.
6. Order the new season of Game of Thrones. Limit yourself to one episode a night. Try to get your neighbor on the couch to call you “Khaleesi”. Pretend you look like this:
7. Tell each other every night how glad you are to have the Giant Couch and the Giant television.
8. Order a new cd every day from Amazon. Downloading MP3 albums doesn’t count because the resulting computer glitches cause stress, while opening the daily box from Amazon is an *event*.
9. Learn new songs.
10. Blog more.
11. Download guitar lessons from Troy. He is my best friend (See #1 and #3) and is very patient when I rewind his instructions over and over again.
12. Plan the summer road trip. Google prehistoric Indian mounds, “the best antique malls in Ohio” and the West Virginia Country Music Hall of Fame.
13. Pretend you are somewhere else. We like to pretend we are in Austin. Banjo Man isn’t very good at this, but if I make a margarita in a beer mug I can pretty much picture myself at the Saxon Pub on a Wednesday night watching Cindy Cashdollar set up her six lap steel guitars. Especially if I close my eyes and chug.
14. Look at pictures of the lake.
15. Work, work, work.
16. Plan my retirement party.
17. Do jigsaw puzzles on my Kindle. Kristanix is by far the best app!
18. Reorganize recipes in binders while watching television. (See #5)
19. Reorganize music into five different binders while watching television. Alphabetize by song titles. (See #5)
20. Be creative with how to get exercise with the Stamina Elliptical Machine. I have mine under the desk and I peddle as I write. Like right now. The price keeps going up (mine was a lot less expensive) so maybe everyone in New England is ordering them? My butt is going to be as hard as a rock by July.
21. Take pictures of the animals that are not likely to make it through the winter.
22. Resolve to make it through the winter.