blizzard, austin and ikea, part 1

I have so much to say.   Too much, actually.  I haven’t blogged because I don’t know where to start.  Storm?  Grandson?  Tacos?  What do you want to hear about?

I am in Austin.  I left Rhode Island early Thursday morning, landed in Chicago in the midst of light snow and arrived in Texas before noon.  The planes were half empty, so having a row of three seats to myself felt absolutely luxurious.

Blizzard Nemo hit home on Friday morning.

While all of this was going on, Son #2 and I were in Ikea.
2013-02-08 001

An Ikea store is approximately the size of London.  At the entrance they give you a map and a pencil.  There are arrows painted on the floor, and secret passageways to take shortcuts, but the shortcuts are not really short.

We returned a wobbly bookcase and got a store credit.  Then we ate in the cafeteria.  And then we walked for eight or nine miles looking for solutions to storage problems.

After what seemed like an eternity, we loaded up a couple of hundred pounds of cardboard-encased storage solutions and headed to Son #1’s house to accompany the family to my grandson’s first swimming lesson.

My sweet grandson wasn’t happy.  Like his father at that age, he is very suspicious of new things, even with his daddy joining him in the pool.

2013-02-08 002

They both survived and ate plenty of bbq at the restaurant next to Aqua Tots.
2013-02-08 005

Back in Rhode Island, our county was one of the hardest hit.  Two feet of heavy snow, a snow that broke plows, would paralyze the Northeast for several days.  Banjo Man and my mother (who lives over the hill and through the woods) lost power at 10 PM.  The storm was a ferocious combination of blizzard and nor’easter, with a  moon tide and high tide complicating things at the height of the winds (up to 80 mph along the coastline of Nantucket).

Banjo Man hiked to my mother’s Saturday morning to check on her, because it was still snowing and she had no heat.  He told me this while he was trudging through the snow and explaining how he’d been careful to stop every few minutes to catch his breath.  There were branches (or trees?) blocking the long driveway; the plow would not be able to enter.  No one was allowed on the roads anyway.  80% of the state was out of power.   The temperature was dropping and predicted to be 9 degrees before midnight.

I promptly began having a nervous breakdown, one that would last for the next two days.

To be continued…

This entry was posted in austin, family, grandmother stuff, rhode island. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to blizzard, austin and ikea, part 1

  1. Pat Coughlin says:

    Only a writer would end with such a cliffhanger! Love John’s Superman bathing suit.

  2. Connie says:

    I’m not complaining but, how many days do we have to wait for the rest of the story?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s